Recipe 7/52 for my 30 before 30 list. I am making and blogging about one new recipe a week. Kenny and I were watching the food network when The Pioneer Woman was on. She was making Calzones. Kenny loves them but I had never made them before, so I decided to give it a try. I found her Calzones Recipe on their website.
I made Dustyn one with just Mozzarella Cheese and Pepperoni. He ate almost half. That really surprised me since he is such a picky eater.
- 16 whole Frozen, Unrisen Dinner Rolls
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 pound Breakfast
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 15 ounces, fluid Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1-1/2 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Marinara Sauce, For Serving
- 1 whole Egg Beaten
- Place the frozen rolls on a baking sheet to thaw. Cover with a tea towel and let thaw and rise for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the sausage and cook until brown, crumbling the sausage as you stir. Add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Remove from the skillet and allow to cool on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt, some pepper, parsley and 2 eggs.
- When the sausage is cool, stir it into the cheese mixture and set aside.
- When the rolls are thawed and risen, roll them out on a lightly floured surface until paper thin. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of the filling onto half of the dough circle. Fold half of the dough over itself, and then press the edges to seal.
- Brush the surface of each calzone with the beaten egg, and then bake until nice and golden brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Serve with warm Marinara Sauce.
If you want a larger calzone, use frozen bread loaves and use one-quarter to one-third of the loaf for each calzone.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. The Calzones were pretty easy to make and delicious.