Now that Dustyn is getting older I find myself just letting him do his thing. Telling him I am too busy to play or listen. Getting mad at him when he doesn’t do things the right way. I have a lot on my plate with Carsyn and feel I really don’t give enough positive attention to Dustyn. Therefore I decided to make a list of 15 Things To Say To Our Children as a reminder to myself. I want to make sure that say these things to both my boys on a daily basis.
15 Things To Say To Our Children
- You are an extraordinary person. There is no one like you.
- It is alright to cry. Everyone cries for different reasons. Whether they are upset, happy, sad, worried or glad.
- What an amazing idea! I never would have thought of that. How did you come up with that idea? You are clever!
- You made a mistake and that is okay. People make mistakes. Is there anything we can do to fix it? It is over and you can start fresh. I forgive you.
- I am sorry. I made a mistake. Will you forgive me please?
- You did something helpful and kind. Thank you.
- I can wait. You don’t have to rush. We have time.
- What would you like to do? It is your turn to pick.
- I am listening. Tell me about it. I am right here.
- When we are apart I missed you.
- Just try a little bit. You might like it. Let’s see. I think you can do it, but I can help if you need me.
- How can I help you? I am here. If we work together we can get it done.
- I have a surprise for you. It is just something small, and for no reason at all.
- It is okay if you want to change your mind. Big decisions take a lot of thought.
- I love you! There is nothing you could say or do that will make me stop loving you.
What are some things you want to remember to say to your children?